Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam

Subject: Re: [OM] imgs: from the slow train to Amsterdam
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2013 13:53:34 -0000
Ostend to Moscow by train?

Yes, been there, done that - although in truth we changed in
Aachen/Aix-la-Chapelle and Berlin, but the trains were indeed well organised
(and especially so the DDR border guards we had to negotiate four times).

http://zone-10.com/tope2/main.php?g2_itemId=2014 is one of the images from
that trip, in 1970, before I had an OM (before they existed!), and before I
had an SLR, so it must be from an Instamatic 100 on Kodachrome-X. The view
is the Piskaryovskoye cemetery in what was then Leningrad. I nearly called
it a war cemetery, which might have been appropriate, had the dead been
military casualties. Of course, they are not, they are civilian, and the
grassed humps either side of the rosebeds are the mass graves. I have since
realised that what is visible in the image is barely one eighth of the
extent of the mass graves

The young guy in the red trousers went on to become the BBC's Moscow
correspondent.

Piers