Re: [OM] No more photos - Syria

Subject: Re: [OM] No more photos - Syria
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2013 10:50:50 +1100
Indeed.
We blather on about our 'right to know' and that 'the truth must come out' so
we send in the media warriors.
The arrogance is appalling and the suffering locals should regard them as
vultures. perhaps.
They feed us with the horror so that we can 'suffer' vicariously. For a few
moments before the next sitcom.
But would our views change if this you man died tomorrow,or was kidnapped and
no-one paid the ransom?
Does he have some innate 'right' to be there, and to be paid for risking
himself?
I think not. If we want to know, send the locals cameras and pay them for
images?
Yes we might miss the occasional brilliant Don McCullin image.
But is the yield worth the investment or moral vacuity?

I make no defence of News International in the broader sense but they do seem
to be trying to do the right thing.
They may or may not get it wrong.The suggestion that they are covering
something up is just daft.

Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com