[OM] [OT] Posting Batteries prohibited by UK Royal Mail

Subject: [OM] [OT] Posting Batteries prohibited by UK Royal Mail
From: Brian Gray <bsg017@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 18:12:49 +0000
   Hi
   I think this publication by the UK's Royal Mail could cause some
   problems to private individuals.
   <Batteries that are classed as dangerous goods by the latest edition of
   the International Civil Aviation Organizationâ??s (ICAO) Technical
   Instructions are prohibited. This includes lithium
   ion/polymer/metal/alloy batteries sent in isolation, with or contained
   in electronic equipment such as mobile phones or digital cameras.

   Lead acid batteries (e.g. car batteries) and sealed lead acid batteries
   are also prohibited.

   Alkaline, nickel metal hydride (NiMH) and nickel cadmium (NiCd)
   batteries may only be sent when new and in their original packaging.
   Please see [1]www.royalmail.com/restrictedgoods

   I was not surprised by the item on lead acid batteries but I am
   surprised that it seems to mean that I could not send an electronic
   child to a grandchild with batteries included in the package to make it
   usable immediately. Obviously, neither could I send a second hand
   camera or telephone which uses rechargeable batteries, or even alkaline
   batteries.

   Has anyone else had any thoughts on this or know if other mail/parcel
   companies are applying similar rules?

   Brian Gray