Re: [OM] I know I'm going to regret this

Subject: Re: [OM] I know I'm going to regret this
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2013 09:43:17 -0600
Specifically, what I'm finding is an overall "depth" to the images
which I'm just not able to get with other cameras. I've been using the
EOS-7D (and original 5D) quite a bit over the past year and as much as
I really do like those cameras (the 7D remains my current "best DSLR"
recommendation), there is just something missing. It's like the
difference between using real butter and margarine.

What about the rest of the Olympus cameras? The E-300 was close, but I
haven't seen anything similar to the E-1 until the E-M5. I'm very
intrigued by the E-M5, but the greens just seem slightly off to me. I
haven't spent enough time punishing pixels from that camera to see
just how far they can be tortured. The E-1 pixels can be really
abused. Few cameras (especially Panasonic-sensor'd models) can produce
image-files that can take the beatings E-1 files can.

I posted several pictures in the TOPE gallery which have been
water-boarded to death. In one case, the tonal remapping is the
equivalent to having a variable ISO in the image from, say, 12 to
3200. Few cameras can produce RAW files that can take this
chop-busting experience without turning to a pixelated mushpit.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx