Re: [OM] Statins, was Re: Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens

Subject: Re: [OM] Statins, was Re: Reverse adapter - mount MFT lens
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 00:48:32 +1300
Wayne asked
> So, what killed him ?
>
> ...Wayne

> > Other people who support or have supported a plant-based diet include:
> > Nathan Pritikin, whose autopsy, after he died at the age of 69 years as
> > published in the New England Journal of Medicine, showed an absolutely
> > remarkable absence of calcification and fatty deposits in his coronary
> > arteries. Those blood vessels, the coroner declared, were like those of
> > a teenager. (J. D. Hubbard, S. Inkeles, and R. J. Barnard; New England
> Journal
> > of Medicine, July 4, 1985:"Nathan Pritikin's Heart".)

According to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Pritikin

(copy and paste)
In the early 1980s, he began to suffer severe pain and complications related
to his decades-long fight with leukemia, which had been in remission for 27
years.[4][5] He committed suicide on February 21, 1985

 He developed leukemia long before he began a low-fat diet. Interestingly,
the leukemia was totally asymptomatic and in remission for over 20 years
when he reluctantly saw a hematologist at UCLA. The hematologist was
certain that Pritikin had hairy cell leukemia and that chemotherapy was
indicated. Pritikin was convinced to take chemotherapy although it
contradicted everything he believed and stood for. He had an extremely
adverse reaction to the chemotherapeutic agent that included liver and
kidney damage.

(He committed suicide because of the disastrous ravages of the cancer.)

I recommend reading the wikipedia article; it is not a big page.

Brian Swale