Re: [OM] An old man's house in Dunfee, Indiana

Subject: Re: [OM] An old man's house in Dunfee, Indiana
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 16:03:59 +1100
Interesting to hear of a good experience.
Unlike the TLR's, they aren't being made anymore I think. The TLR was saved
when a Chinese millionaire bought the 4A-109 production line and cranked it up
again.
You were lucky - quality was EXTREMELY variable. If a camera  failed quality
control checks, Seagull put a red dot in front of the serial number and...sold
it on the domestic market.
The education department used to buy them for schools here because they were
cheap - it was a false economy.
Many people had one fail right out of the box.
I've understand that the TLR's are very reliable - if you have them serviced by
a technician the moment you get them. And if you don't try and set the shutter
speed before winding on - or was that  after? - whichever, it causes a jam.
Seagull did have a proper licencing arrangement with Minolta for the DF's and
there were several DF models. I don't know where they got the design for the
Haiou lenses.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com