Re: [OM] OT: PowerGen I-thingie car charger

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: PowerGen I-thingie car charger
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 08:42:10 -0500
I think you are referring to me as the recommender of this:
<http://www.amazon.com/PowerGen-2-1Amps-charger-Designed-Android/dp/B00622AG6S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360501582&sr=8-1&keywords=powergen+car+charger>

This device has over 2,000 very positive reviews on Amazon and very few
negative reviews.  I bought it, however, based on this one review:
<http://www.amazon.com/review/R1BSQFGYMS2DCH/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R1BSQFGYMS2DCH>
because it notes that this device will charge an Android device unlike
many others that promise Android compatibility but really only work on
Apple devices.  I used it to charge my Google Nexus 7 while driving from
NY to Florida since I was using the Nexus 7 as a GPS navigation device.
  I also used it to charge my phone but don't recall if both were being
charged at once but probably not.  Works just fine for me.  It was
plugged into my Toyota Sienna which I have just traded for a new
Chrysler T&C.  I haven't tried it on the T&C yet but, if anything I
expect it to be better.  The Toyota disabled all the 12V outlets when
the ignition was off.  The T&C has one front outlet dependent only on
battery power while another one requires that the ignition be on.  I
think the T&C's firmware may allow changing that but I'm not sure.

Anyhow, the 7% very negative reviews seem to be from users of iPads and
iPhones or people who say the charger does not fit properly in their
car's 12V outlet... no electrical contact at all or intermittent
contact.  All I can say is that mine works fine for charging
non-iDevices and I considered it a very good deal for 10 bucks.

Chuck Norcutt