Re: [OM] storm

Subject: Re: [OM] storm
From: Martin Walters <mwalters@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:08:00 -0500
No. Climate change is the correct term and should be used free of any
political or other connotation. The long-term trend in climate change,
however, is open for speculation, as is any anthropogenic contribution.

The Earth's climate has changed (and evolved) throughout geological time
(e.g., initially, no or little oxygen). We're presently in an ice age
(Pleistocene), which is characterized by glacial (colder) and
inter-glacial periods (warmer). The question for (paleo)climatologists
is whether the present inter-glacial period will lead to a further
glacial period, or it signals the end of the Pleistocene ice age. Stay
tuned of the next 10 000 years or so.

Weather variation should not be confused with climate change, especially
over such short time spans and decades and centuries. Geological time is
measured in millions of years. Weather is an expression of climate, of
course.

Martin