Re: [OM] storm

Subject: Re: [OM] storm
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2013 13:41:43 -0500
Or, conversely, what are the odds that the National Weather Service
calculated the odds correctly in the first place?

BTW, what are these two "once in a century" storms?  The northeast
blizzard of the last few days comes nowhere near qualifying for that
moniker.  And Sandy isn't really very noteworthy other than where and
when it hit.  A broad field category 1 storm (not even that at landfall)
but it manages to hit very highly populated areas at high tide
exacerbated by highest astronomical tide.  The guilty parties are the
civil authorities who never took any mitigating action to prepare for
what had long been predicted (including the flooding of the subway
tunnels).  Now we get to pay for all those folks who never bought flood
insurance even though it's dirt cheap for the coverage.  I have not much
sympathy with them.

Chuck Norcutt