Re: [OM] OT: A striking coincidence

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: A striking coincidence
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2013 14:58:19 -0800
On 2/12/2013 11:05 AM, philippe.amard wrote:
> Plus a lesson in photography I guess
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-21427713

"For those not aware, to take a photograph of lightning you must open the
shutter and hope - or perhaps pray. You can't
wait until you see a flash and press the shutter release, as you will, of
course, have missed the event.

The trick is to frame the shot and set the camera for a long exposure, then any
bolts that appear in the frame will be
captured in all their glory. "

I've used this method, and although tedious and highly reliant on luck, it can
work. It's not the best way to assure
lightning images. The old way to do a better job is a flash trigger that senses
the pre-flash and triggers the camera.

If I were serious about capturing lightning nowadays, I would use CHDK on a
Canon to combine sensing and exposure in one
device. <http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Samples:_Lightning_photography>

Alternative Methods Moose