Re: [OM] storm

Subject: Re: [OM] storm
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:58:11 -0500
Yeah, but that's total snowfall data, not one-storm data. <g> This has not been
a particularly rough winter, temperature wise. I recall several since we moved
up here where, if I recall correctly (and I'm too lazy to go get the actual
data) we sometimes went weeks at a time without getting above freezing. Or, if
we did, it was only by a degree or two for a few hours at most. One year in the
not too distant past was extremely cold, but almost lacing in snow. That was a
rough one because septic fields froze due to lack of snow pack. And because the
ground froze a little deeper and harder than usual, mud season was something we
have driven from our collective memories.

My point on Nemo is that blizzards are like combat: it doesn't matter whether
you're in a little firefight with 10 or 12 fighters total, or in the middle of
the Battle of the Bulge--on the ground, where you are, the pucker-factor is the
same. You don't see the big picture. If you're lucky you might see your buddy
next to you, and if you're really lucky, you won't see the guys shooting at you
because they bug out before the gunships arrive. Nemo was a real corker of a
storm, especially on these wonderful Maine peninsulas, where you've got water
on three sides and the wind come howling. I could see my wife because she was
sitting in the room next to me. On the few occasions we went outside to try to
keep up with storm deposits, I couldn't see anything but white. And because I
was a brand-new snow-blower operator, I sometimes couldn't see my hand in front
of my face because I was creating a blizzard within a blizzard. <g>

Alas, since the storm we've had above freezing days and nights and the snow is
seriously evaporating. If we have to go through a storm like that, I wish we
could keep the snow around in proper mass for a few days at least. Not everyone
will agree with me on that. But I'm looking at it from a photographic
perspective. There was a very limited window of opportunity when the snow was
still here but I could get out of your driveway and get around.

--Bob