Re: [OM] New photos up, including train stuff

Subject: Re: [OM] New photos up, including train stuff
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2013 12:40:46 +1300
Paul Braun and Paul Laughlin wrote

> > Enjoyed the Farmall tractors.  In '49 I took a short break from the Air
> > Force and worked a few weeks for a guy that was farming my Grandfather's
> > original homestead in Idaho.  Part of the time I was driving a Farmall
> > model H.  And part of the time it was a model A John Deere that I
> > borrowed from my uncle.  So that H Farmall in the picture brought back
> > some memories.  Always enjoy Railroad images too.
>
> Thanks, Paul.
>
> We had the one Super C, but there was also a much, much earlier model
> parked on the property.  It was dead, but as a kid, it was fun to play on.
>   Don't remember the model number.  I learned how to drive on that Super
>   C,
> learned how to plow and disk and harrow and plant.  Pretty good way to
> grow up.

 At the age of 12, I was driving a McCormack Deering W 30 with all-steel
wheels and wide spade-lugs on the rear for traction. Discing, harrowing etc

Start by cranking the 4 cyl engine, run on petrol then when warm switch to
kerosine.

The short curved exhaust pipe was all of 18 inches long ...

Brian Swale