Re: [OM] The reason why we have image stabilization

Subject: Re: [OM] The reason why we have image stabilization
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2013 21:51:43 -0600
> I pick on AG's images and verbiage all the time. Here's a chance to defend
> him. :-)

I usually do a good job of lofting those slow pitch softballs for you.

> Seems clear to me that it is carefully focused on the left spigot (teat?).
> Because it is shot at an angle, the flow from
> there quickly moves out of the DOF, while the DOF catches the right mug
> handle. The oddly placed plane of focus is a
> result of the camera not being level with and at a right angle to the
> subject. Pretty much unavoidable in this case,
> I'll bet.
>
> Greater DOF would put the left stream of mud sharper, but also bring in more
> of the cups. Whether it would be a more
> attractive image with more DOF, I don't know. It is, in any case, a pretty
> nice image in the super shallow DOF style.

The explanation is pretty simple and far less "artsy" than you would
think. My kitchen lights aren't that bright and my exposure was 1/30,
F2 at ISO 400. This is handheld at minimum focusing distance. So, 1/30
at equivalent focal length of 200mm. That's almost three stops slower
than minimum recommended. Not too shabby for handheld, but also not
too unusual for my shooting the E-1, either. I would have stopped it
down a little more if I could have, but I was already boxed into an
exposure corner without going up to higher ISOs. Frankly, I only had
30 seconds to get all my shots in.

Not a perfect shot, given the circumstances, and the fact that this
ISN'T decaf, probably pretty remarkable.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx