Re: [OM] E-1 goodness

Subject: Re: [OM] E-1 goodness
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 17:19:54 -0600
> I'm going to bolt that sucker on the front of the E-M5 and see what it can
> do compared to the 12-50mm MFT lens.

I wouldn't call the 14-54 a "best lens" at anything, but it does
everything it is able to do very well.

The close-focusing ability is wonderful. The lens just goes seamlessly
from macro to infinity without missing a beat. There are a couple
focal lengths where the lens seems to cross over and the life gets
sucked out of the image, but even at that, it's hard to nail it down.
You just sense when it isn't at its ideal in the viewfinder and you
adjust accordingly.

As an event-shoot lens (wedding, party, etc), I sometimes long for the
extra 2mm on the wide-end, but honestly, I find that the 28-108mm
equivalent focal length of this lens to be almost unstoppable. Olympus
goofed big time with the 5MP sensor in the E-1 (why oh why they didn't
do an E-1 mk2 with the E-300 sensor will go down in photographic
history as one of the biggest industry blunders ever*), but otherwise
the E-1 with that 14-54 is an absolute perfect match. If Olympus were
to reintroduce the E-1 with current sensor, I would buying the first
one coming off the boat.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx