[OM] Few shots from Orchid Odyssey--22nd Annual Show

Subject: [OM] Few shots from Orchid Odyssey--22nd Annual Show
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 21:56:48 -0500 (EST)
JW writes:

>>I really like that new hybrid.  I will pass the link on to my wife.

They are stunning "in person".  I have shied away from "Massies" as they really
do like very high humidity (from cloud forest after all) and don't tolerate a
heat wave at all.  Some originating from lower altitudes are less (slightly)
fussy.  I don't think I can resist anymore despite this.  Some are touted as
even being OK on a window sill if carefully place in a "cool pot"
and kept most.  I am thinking of treating them as Phrags in my tank  the
cellar  but use the polyethylene packing foam stuff Tim Hughs likes
as flash diffuser material to reduce the florescent tube light to about
2000ft-candles. I don't know  how fussy Tiger Bay is.
Below is one of my favorite books:

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Orchids-Uncomplicated-Growing-Worlds/dp/0618263268

Curiously the first paragraph in the Masdevallia section describes a malady
known as AMC or acute masdevalloid complex.  It states "the disease starts out
innocently enough with the purchase of a Masdevallia or two. With their
successful culture come the first symptoms---quickened pulse, sweaty palms, and
nervousness at the sight of some newly discovered Masdevallia on a show
table......
LATE STAGE  "AMC suffers reach destitution after spending lavishly on
climate-controlled greenhouses, trips to the Andes and spending sprees at
specialty nurseries. "  Best warn the wife.
Perhaps a slightly different viral syndrome than the Zuiko variant.

>>Not sure I like the WB selection.  I'd be tempted to let PS do some auto
>>stuff just to see if it can be cooled off a little.

Thanks for looking and mentioning that.  I'll have to try again.  The light was
mixed and complicated with oddball ?halogen ceiling lights, incandescent spots
and my flash.   I neglected
to get the WB  acceptable last year as well--may shoot a target to get in the
right ball park with each shot next time.  The Canyon lady had a LED panel as
well.  Saw more than a couple. Hmmm.

Coolin it soon, Mike