Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the recent northeast blizzard was not due to globa

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the recent northeast blizzard was not due to global warming
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:43:00 -0800
> From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> There was some discussion here recently about the recent northeast
> blizzard.  It doesn't take long before people are proclaiming that the
> size and intensity of the storm are all due to global warming.

Yea, that's just crazy. It is no more possible to connect any given storm to
global warming than it is to connect any given cancer tumour to a dose of
radiation or chemical pollution.

But then there's sadistics.

When a relatively minor nuclear melt-down occurs, and the government says, "The
public was never in any danger," but a prominent epidemiologist shows that 400
extra infant deaths occur over what would normally be expected, one has to
wonder. Probably none of those babies were even autopsied, and if they had,
they would not have had little red flags inside, saying "Three Mile Island
Killed Me!"

Likewise, when two "100 year storms" occur in an area within twelve months, one
has to wonder.

I predict a lot more extreme weather events than we've been used to seeing. And
NONE of them will be absolutely, provably, incontrovertibly caused by global
warming!

"Correlation is not causation." But it can be a big warning sign. Ignore at
your own civilization's peril.

:::: A leader is best when people barely know he exists -- When his work is
done, his aim fulfilled, they will say, "We did this ourselves." -- Lao-Tzo