Re: [OM] IMG: Shucking Corn

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Shucking Corn
From: DZDub <jdubikins@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:45:28 -0600
On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Here it is as a jpeg converted straight from scan:

> Don't know how to post it to the list as Raw.  Will this do?

Tough image to work with as there is so little in the shadows to bring up.
 My priority was to let the shadows get back to a decent black where there
was nothing more to be had and get some separation of the older girl from
the background.

1. First step was to clean up the noise.  I just use Noiseware.
2. Created layers.  Clipped the shadow end of the histogram where the
pixels first bunch.  Switch the layer and with the eraser at various
opacities erase the shadow areas, in particular around the girls.  Flatten
3. Create layers.  Using H/S tool, get as much of the shadow around the
girls faces to come up.  Flip the layers and erase gingerly at increasing
opacity percentages to bring up the faces.  There isn't much to work with.
 The girl in the background -- there is a hint of her right eye in the
shadows of her face.  I worked to get this to unveil as much as I could,
but I'm not sure I made it any better and just hope it's not worse.
 Flatten.
4. Create layers.  Sharpen with Focus Magic on 2 at 50%.  Flip layers and
at increasing opacity percentages, reveal some sharpening of the main
girl's eyes, brows, mouth, and fingers.  Flatten.

There was probably another layers step in there used just to darker the
shadows at the bottom and rear of the photo.

This reminds me of work I've done on scans of old, faded photographs.  I
don't really like doing it unless the photograph is really meaningful, and
this is sure a great one.  I hope you eventually get it the way you want it.

Joel W.