Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 19/2/2013: eating and drinking in Ixelles

Subject: Re: [OM] Nathan's PAD 19/2/2013: eating and drinking in Ixelles
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 01:57:04 -0800
On 2/20/2013 10:09 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> You guys are too squeamish. Not everything needs to be cooked, if it is
> fresh. On a related note, the best cheeses are those made with raw milk,
> something that is frowned upon in the US.

The US has a fear based culture. There are, of course, variations, subtleties,
tidal movements, etc. But fear of nature,
various human creations and institutions, other groups of humans, domestic and
external, and of generalized other
individual people is part of the pulse of living in the US.

Pretend you are an ethnologist from another planet. Watch a few US 'news'
programs. It will only take a few before you
can make an accurate list of the items producers would like in each newscast.
It will consist of one human interest
story, sports and a bunch of stories to make you feel various levels of anxiety
through deep fear. The fear stories lead.

Things that you ingest, or neglect to ingest, that will kill you, slowly or
quickly, and generally painfully are a
staple. You might not believe how hard it is to get some otherwise apparently
sane people to eat sushi. Even if they try
it, you can tell they are already looking ahead to when they have to be wormed.

Raw meat is something like the antideity to many here. Just mention it, and
they are already off, running around in
circles in the garden of fear.

> On the other hand, growth hormones, large amounts of antibiotics, and various
> GM shenanigans are apparently quite OK.

It's a big country, lots of sub-cultures. A huge one is more afraid or what
their food might do to them without
additives, another, smaller group is afraid of what all the additives will do
to them. Then there's the big group that
eats McDs, and is afraid of things other than food.

On 2/20/2013 10:12 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I post pictures of lovely Belgian dishes and an animated talking lady, and
> within a few hours nobody comments on the pictures; instead, the talk is of
> diarrhea.

Honestly, I didn't see much to comment on. The woman is apparently more
interesting in person than in this pic. She
isn't particularly physically attractive to me, and the shot doesn't make me
imagine other attractive traits. I'll take
your word for it, but it's not in the pic. Nothing wrong with being ordinary
looking. I and the vast majority of the
people I love and like are so. But a pic like this of us wouldn't do much for
anyone who doesn't know us, either.

As to the food, nice, clear, colorful images of food I don't know, don't really
call for comment.

R. Fearless Moose