[OM] Fwd: This list is full of shit

Subject: [OM] Fwd: This list is full of shit
From: usher99@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:33:47 -0500 (EST)
Oh,
here is one illustrative story with a bit more background:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/04/health/04meat.html?pagewanted=all

Tina writes:
>>Sorry! I love your photos, as always.

Yes, keep 'em coming.

I do think however that food born illness concerns are valid and NOT a
manifestion of the general public's well recognized inability to gauge
absolute risks appropriately.

"Foodborne diseases are an important public health burden in the United
States."

"CDC estimates that each year roughly 1 in 6 Americans (or 48 million
people) get sick, 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die of foodborne
diseases." We're not talking rare here (except ground beef).

Cases of Nontyphoidal Salmonella, Toxoplasma, Listeria, and norovirus
caused the most deaths, not even mentioning Shigella Camplyobacter,
Toxo. Staph exotoxin (I've had that--projectile vomiting-- on flight to
Australia--ugh!)

Recall before the Jack in
box incident when 4 kids died of E. coli O157:H7 bacteria (shiga toxin
producing E. coli) and over 600 sickened.
Prior to that it was common for some feedlot containing stool to remain
on the carcass (adhered to the hide) if less than dime sized and the
bacteria wasn't even considered an adulterant until after new
legislation was passed. Enforcement and inspection are still rather lax
at best.  Ground beef  may be the worst as may be from tens of animals
and even different countries.

Where's the beef?-- not for me,  especially raw.
Dr. D (diarrhea)