[OM] Movie Photography Rant

Subject: [OM] Movie Photography Rant
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:18:25 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
<RANT>

     I very rarely find fault with the photography in movies, but this one is
an exception.  I finally went to see "Flight" the other day.  Good story, good
acting, and some interesting aerobatics with a DC-9.

     But there were places where the photography was awful.  At one point, the
focus of the camera shifted rapidly from the actor's face to some point
immediately behind him, then in front, the behind, then back to where it should
have been all along.  It wasn't the fault of the projectionist, but instead it
was the cameraman, and the editing room should have caught that.

     The worst photography had to do with two scenes that were filmed with two
of the actors sitting on a porch.  The entire porch is in shadow, so everything
there is in diminished lighting so that details are not readily discernible.
At the same time, the background outside of the porch and in full daylight is
terribly washed out.  A little bit of supplemental lighting on the porch would
have corrected that, and whoever was responsible for that omission should be
kept away from making movies entirely.

</RANT>

Chris