Re: [OM] Movie Photography Rant

Subject: Re: [OM] Movie Photography Rant
From: "Chris Trask" <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 11:45:39 -0700

> That sounds a bit like schoolboy errors, Chris.
>
> I tend not to see many films, but especially not ones about flying.  I'm
almost
> bound to find fault since I can't switch off . . .

    That happened to me in the early moments of this movie.  After takeoff
into bad weather, the aircraft ended up in a situation where it had to
penetrate a line of thunderstorms.  The aircraft radar showed a gap between
two cells, and the pilot elected to go that direction, which is not a very
good choice.  I can think of two instances (a C-141A in East Surrey and a
C-130E in South Carolina) where doing so resulted in the aircraft being torn
apart from strong, sudden changes in updraughts and downdraughts.

    When he entered the severe turbulence, he dumped the nose and
accelerated with full throttles instead of leveling off and slowing to
maneuvering speed.  Great way to overstress an aircraft, and the accident
that took place later was a direct result of those bad decisions.  He was
cowboying the aircraft.

    I was clinging to the edge of the seat restraining myself from screaming
"NO!  YOU IDIOT!!"

Chris