Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the global warming component to the recent northea

Subject: Re: [OM] [Way OT] Why the global warming component to the recent northeast blizzard is unknown at this point
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 14:06:30 -0600
> Can't possibly be says they... but two proof of concept experiments in
> Copenhagan and CERN have so far gone his way.  Clouds are one of the
> biggest holes in any climate model since they're very poorly understood.
>   Watch this space. :-)

Exactly. And we've also contributed to this problem with the the
"scrubbers" and other systems to remove soot and particulate from
exhaust/smoke. Sulfur removal is another contributor. What's happening
is that we are lowering the materials that contribute to cloud (and
precipitation) formation. Clouds are important as UV/IR
reflectors/filters. Without clouds we get greater surface warming. But
on the flip side, clouds reduce the long-wavelength IR radiation back
into space.

Where I disagree with your statement is the "they're very poorly
understood". They may not be as understood as we like, but I think
we've got more knowledge about clouds and how they work in the global
system than you are giving credit for.

--
Ken Norton
ken@xxxxxxxxxxx