Re: [OM] Fwd: This list is full of shit

Subject: Re: [OM] Fwd: This list is full of shit
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 10:27:29 +1100
Sounds safe but it's not. Even if you get the butcher to mince/grind the meat
before your very eyes, you have two problems.
A. Is the grinder clean? They need to be rigorously cleaned frequently as -
B. When meat is ground, the process heats it slightly. This encourages the
rapid growth of any pathogen. It also distributes that pathogen throughout the
meat and provides it with a vastly multiplied surface area on which
to...multiply. When testing meat they reduce it to a paste and watch what
grows. Ground meat is usually not too much of a problem if you eat it quickly
as our gut can deal with low levels of most contaminants but any residual on
the machinery is festering fast. And the machines are very difficult to clean
adequately -especially in a small shop or even if you do it yourself at home.

In other words, mincing meat scrap and even whole meat is a most effective way
of poisoning people. Eating it rare is lunacy. Tartare should be chopped by
hand with a broad knife.
Andrew Fildes
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.soultheft.com