Re: [OM] IMG: Shoes (and Shucking)

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Shoes (and Shucking)
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:33:54 -0500
I don't seem to be able to make the boxes work right.  I only get two
versions.  I like the darkest one best.  I'm going to post some full-sized
scans straight from the scanner in the Olympus gallery  as soon as I can
get around to it.  I've been working on a couple of jobs in my spare time.
 I'd love to see what you can do with the original scan.  I know I must be
introducing the artifacts in the way I'm processing them.  For scanning,
I'm using Vuescan, scanning in B&W with 2 exposures in Fine Mode which is
what is recommended for dark negatives and mine are pretty dark.  I'm
messing with them too much.  The Polaroid Dust and Scratches filter
introduces some artifacts but I usually use that on a layer and just brush
out the dust and scratches.

Thanks!

Tina

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2/21/2013 6:59 AM, Tina Manley wrote:
> > PESO:
> >
> > Here is another one to play with:
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/image/148891377
>
> This one can be improved quite a bit, by my moderate grain standards. But
> there are a couple ofoddities.  <
> http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Shoes.htm>
>
> Unlike Shucking Corn, the shadows here open up nicely. But what is all
> that noise in them? Easily enough whacked, but where does it come from? Is
> the Nikon that noisy?
>
> Look at the little girl's forearm. With NR, odd 'squiggles' appear on the
> smooth skin. If you look closely, they are there all along, but removing
> noise/grain reveals them.
>
> These really surprised me. I have seen them in many digital camera images,
> esp. smaller sensors and at higher ISOs, but never in scans with good film
> scanners. Certainly never with my FS4000. I'm sure you would find that they
> are not on the film, but somehow being introduced in scanning, or possibly
> processing.  Certain combinations of NR and sharpening, combined with big
> grain, might produce them. There are other, similar artifacts elsewhere,
> but possibly only my eagle eye will notice them.
>
> Shucking Corn, with the same film, but darker subject has no shadow detail
> to recover in the scan output we were given, and has similar noise, or does
> the film have random golfballs on a clear substrate?
>
> Anyway, easy to make the shadows look better, but not to extract
> anydetail.  <
> http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Others/Manley/Shucking_Corn.htm>
>
> Softly Grainy Moose
>
> --