Re: [OM] Return of the Native (monitor)

Subject: Re: [OM] Return of the Native (monitor)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2013 16:51:36 -0800
On 2/23/2013 2:48 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> What a luxury.  It used to be that we could run down to the local Radio
> Shack (the only thing left around me now) and find capacitors.  I don't
> think so today.

The internet has mostly taken over that function - and quite wonderful it is,
in many ways. At just over $1 apiece, the
five capacitors probably would have cost about the same by the time I paid
shipping. For a larger order for a project,
the web would likely be cheaper.

But the convenience is huge. I could get the parts in less than an hour.

OTOH, the breadth of stuff available on the web is amazing. I have some
ultrasonic toothbrushes, that aren't made any
more, and for a while, the only other brand was also out of production,
although I hear they may now be back.

Sealed units where I was pretty sure the problem was just batteries. I cut a
physically broken one open, to see how they
were set up inside, then cut one open in the right place. Sure enough, worn out
NiMh battery packs. It uses four 1/3/AA
cells stacked. Yeah, I could make a stack, but a bit of searching found a place
with such stacks ready made, and here in
two days. As it turns out, they were a tiny bit wider in diameter and even more
longer, but could be shoehorned in.

Fresh cells with 50% more capacity - wow, that things goes! Now to do more.
For those with gum problems:

When I switched dentists over forty years ago, the then young hygienist took me
in hand, showed me what was happening
with my gums and how soon someone with gums like mine would start losing teeth.
She then said that if I got with their
program and stuck with it, I'd keep the teeth.

The dentist is long retired, but Sandra is still looking after my gums - and I
still have all my teeth. One key why they
trot me out as an example of how gum disease can be stopped in its tracks is
ultrasonics, in her cleaning device and my
toothbrushes.

All those 'sonic' toothbrushes, and even some labeled 'ultrasonic' in adds,
vibrate like crazy and scrub stuff off your
teeth. What they don't do is get down deep, where the bacteria live, and give
off acid that removes bone. With an
ultrasonic wave superimposed on the sonic vibrations, the colonies of bacteria
are broken up, many/most killed and do
little or no damage. Of course, the survivors multiply and regroup, so you
gotta break 'em up every day.

I think the Emmi-dent is the only true ultrasonic brush on sale now.  Bling
uses the term, but isn't the real thing.
Meanwhile, my several Ultrasonex brushes, with now batteries should last me
many years.

Smilin' Moose