Re: [OM] (OM) Lens case needed

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Lens case needed
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:09:44 -0500
What kind of backpack?  An ordinary hiker's backpack or a photographer's
backpack?  I've carried my Canon 5D, 3 lenses (20-40, 28-80, 24-135), 2
flash units (T-32 & Canon 540EZ), Sekonic meter, spare batteries,
charger, flash bracket, manuals, etc, etc, inside this (very
inexpensive) Canon backpack
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/248295-REG/Canon_6229A003_Deluxe_Backpack_200_EG.html>

for nearly 7 years without any sort of mishap to any of the equipment.
I know AG uses one of these and Moose may as well.  Perhaps others too
here since we've extolled its virtues available at low cost.

The lens I can't fit inside it is an 80-200/2.8** which (when it's
needed) rides inside a soft Low-Pro case like this one (but mine is 28cm
rather than 26cm).  The case is long enough that it accommodates the
lens with hood installed in ready to use position.  The case has
external carry straps as well as a belt loop.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/752416-REG/Lowepro_LP36306_PAM_Lens_Case_11_x.html>

My point it that I don't think a rigid case is really required.  Just
some soft foam padding in the bag's partitions or soft case.  But it
very much depends on your own activities.  I consider the backpack a
transport case and not a shooting case.  As such it rarely does much
movement other than house to car and back again.  I don't take it (or
me) on rock climbing expeditions.

**Truth be known, however, the size of this lens and difficulty carrying
it is one of the reasons I've bought the E-M5

Chuck Norcutt