Re: [OM] IMG: Multi-tasking

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: Multi-tasking
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:52:52 -0800
On 2/24/2013 2:37 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Yes, I hate the white specks and usually get rid of them with Polaroid D&S
> filter but that means closing down PS64 and opening PS32 so I can use the
> filter.

I tried the Polaroid filter when you first mentioned it. Seemed to work pretty
well in areas with no detail, but really
whacks detail. BTW, it an old product from a defunct company. The developer has
undoubtedly moved on, and on. Who knows
who may have the source code, let alone legal rights to it. There will never be
an upgrade.

>    How did you get rid of the spots?

Mostly NeatImage. I quite often use different amounts of NI for different parts
of an image, using masks. In this case,
a mighty whack with NI at all three adjustable frequencies, plus Very Low
freq., knocked out the speckling in the
shadows, which left a few previously unnoticed dust specks that I cleaned up.

I have Actions for Select Highlights and Select Shadows and will often make a
layer with a different brightness (Yup,
another Action) only for the purpose of tuning what those Actions select. Here,
I upped brightness quite a bit on a
temporary level, selected Shadows, applied that as a mask to the real heavy NI
layer, and deleted the work layer.
Usually quicker and easier than a lot of mask painting.

I used a much lower type/amount of NR on the parts with light.

Even after the NI treatment, the detail less area, lower left, had a sort of
amorphous, mottled look, along with a
darker, swirled thing that I took to be swipes of something during processing,
perhaps the healing brush.

So I selected that area, used the dropper at large size to sample the overall
tone of the area, then filled it with
that. I think that's better than pure black. As you may be able to see, the
edges of the image are still, barely,
distinguishable against a pure black surround.

Then I very gently feathered the edges of that mask to blend it into the rest
of the image. That's what gives the smooth
black that I think looks good there.

The other deep shadow areas must be ever so lightly more exposed, and looked
fine, without the mottling with just the NI.

Post Master Moose*

* Still delivering every day. ;-)