Re: [OM] Termites

Subject: Re: [OM] Termites
From: Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:19:57 -0600
> Western Power has been notified, considering its out the front entrance
> of a school close to my home.

Termites and utility poles. That's an ever continuing battle. The
treatment usually does a pretty good job of restricting the problem.
Also, we don't climb poles as much with spikes anymore. It used to be
that we would figure that poles had an average lifespan of 20 years.
We're now getting 30 years out of the good poles, 15 for the not so
good ones.

For the most part, we've gone underground. Granted, were pretty
susceptable to idiots with backhoes, but ice and wind storms are no
longer a problem. What is a problem is the occasional rodent that has
the need to chew. Inside of building, it's mice that will chew through
fiber optic jumpers. In underground vaults, it's rats.

What is really fun is when we've gone underground with our cables and
somebody sets a new utility pole right on top of the cable. I know of
one situation where there is a major protected route with the required
20 foot of separation. Only the separation is vertical. Unfortunately,
if the aerial is damaged, the resetting of a pole could damage the
underground cable. End result is a total outage even though
technically it meets the requirements.

What fun.

AG