Re: [OM] OT: X100

Subject: Re: [OM] OT: X100
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 01:00:47 -0800
On 2/25/2013 9:57 PM, Jim Nichols wrote:
> Hi Moose,
>
> I can't speak for Ken,

That's what I'm curious about. He's certainly not been an RF guy for many
years, if ever. I know he's a Leica wannabe;
he's said so often enough. The odds he will buy an X100 are very low.
Enthusiasms occur often, and run high,
acquisitions low, in that part of Iowa. ;-)

> but my desire to get an X100 goes back to my roots in
> photography.  I started out with the early Leica RF, before the Leica M3 was
> released.  The small camera with the only lens I could afford at the time
> was a joy to use, and was not very conspicuous when taking occasional candid
> snaps.

I understand completely. Although I had a Brownie TLR starting at about five,
my first real love in a camera was a
Topcon Super D, an early, high end SLR my dad had, and my first real camera of
my own was a Nikon Ftn.

> The X100 would appear to be the closest thing in a digital camera to that
> original equipment.

A point I was wondering about, in my own way. The Leica III you had was
interchangeable lens, but you treated it as
fixed FL. So the X100 is a similar thing, but for many Leica users, multiple
focal lengths were normal.

> If I need a variety of focal lengths, I have my E-thingies, but they are much
> larger and more obvious.

Yeah, whole different thing.

> In my recent experience, I seldom change lenses in the field anyway.  A
> 35mm(equiv) FL is
> a pretty good compromise.

In my recent little gallery of a Pacific Grove sunset, focal lengths are 300,
18, 300, 94 and 9 mm. The actual shoot
used more different ones in that 9-300 mm range. The effective focal lengths of
the individual images cover a greater
range. One is a two image panorama @ 9 mm, effective FF FL of about 11 mm.
Another posted image is a full pixel crop
from 300 mm; the effective, FF FL is 2960 mm

Different strokes ... :-)

I.L.C. Moose