Re: [OM] New photos up

Subject: Re: [OM] New photos up
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 07:52:29 -0600
On 2/27/13 00:12 : , Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> Of the newer bunch, the Roble House Corner Detail is my favorite. I like the
> composition and the fact that made an interesting image out of something
> simple.

The masonry in Wright's homes is almost musical.  Whether it's brick and
stone in the Prairie houses, or the brickwork and wood of the later
Usonians, or the uncompromising stonework of homes like Fallingwater and
its neighbor Kentuck Knob, it adds as much to the overall "voice" of the
structure as the actual design.  And up close, the attention to details
that most wouldn't even think about just blows my mind every time I find
something I didn't see before.

For example, his summer estate, Taliesin, in Spring Green, Wisconsin.
He wanted the stonework to resemble the limestone outcroppings of the
surrounding countryside.  The limestone was all quarried locally, and
the stonemasons he hired can only be described as artists.  It's an
amazing thing to see.

--

Paul Braun
Certified Music Junkie

"It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life" - Harlan Howard