Re: [OM] E-M5 and OM 50/1.2

Subject: Re: [OM] E-M5 and OM 50/1.2
From: Tina Manley <images@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 18:38:54 -0500
I hate automatic focus.  I used the Canon 5D and 1DMII before Leica came
out with digital rangefinders.  Those big dumb doorstops had no idea what I
was trying to take a picture of or in dim light they would search and
search and search.  As long as I can see to focus, I prefer manual focus.
 I don't do sports or wildlife and I can see where AF is needed for
fast-moving action, but I can't even use it on my chickens or my dog!!  It
searches forever and I miss the shot.  Having to choose between 12 focus
points before you take a photo is just not the way I work.

YMMV!!

Tina

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 6:22 PM, Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> But you avoid the real question - was correct focus achieved? Were any
> shots missed taking the time to manually focus?
> My image of pelicans skimming the water has been a BIG hit with friends
> and family, as well as well received here. That
> shot doesn't exist without AF.
>
> Did you achieve focus that was better more often that you would have using
> AF more? That you enjoy using MF is relevant
> to your experience, but doesn't  necessarily generalize to most
> photographers. Might you be sailing a little close to
> your own wind here?
> On 2/27/2013 9:49 AM, Ken Norton wrote:
> > I'm going to channel Moose here. For you and your unique circumstances,
> > going the route you did was the best approach. Claiming it to be the
> > universal solution or preference is problematic. Just as it would be if I
> > claimed universality for my methods and preferences.

Tina Manley, ASMP
www.tinamanley.com