Re: [OM] OT website issues

Subject: Re: [OM] OT website issues
From: Chris Trask <christrask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 06:18:49 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

-----Original Message-----

     Very much so.

>It's not at all clear to me why you apparently had so many problems with
>Win7 or Linux.  Both are very stable operating systems.  Possibly your
>particular Linux distribution but that also strikes me as unlikely.

     Win7 had some interesting characteristics.  It would not let you install
RealPlayer on the internal hard drive, but it would instead install it on an
external hard drive.  It had a "Mexican Jumping Cursor" feature where you would
be typing along and suddenly the cursor would go somewhere else, even to
another application or the desktop.  It had problems with CorelDraw and Corel
Photo-Paint where it would shut them down when you clicked on a single menu
item, and you could not open a graphic from the clipboard.  If you wanted to
use the help file for any software you had to have an internet connection so
Win7 could see if there are any updates.  Worst of all, it would not let me use
an electronic circuit simulator called PSpice, claiming that the symbol file
had a unrecoverable error.  NOT!!  I didn't even bother loading the EM
simulator after that.  In short, I could not use it as a platform for the work
I do.

     Linux was just as bad.  In Corel Photo-Paint the scroll bars would not
work.  Forget about PSpice entirely.  There are no linux drivers available for
the dialup modem in this laptop, so I could not use it at home for web
browsing.  And then there's the issue of detailed instructions.  What
instructions?  If you have a problem, you have to do a Google search and find a
forum or blog where someone has hacked at the solution.  I spent more time on
tracking down how-to instructions in Linux than I had done for any Windows
software in the past five years or more.  Not my idea of a useful platform.  I
guess it's okay if you enjoy spending countless hours figuring out how to do
simple things and also think that chili-dogs are a major food group.

     I finished off installing and updating WinXP in this yesterday, and all
that remains is to install the drivers for the OM and Kodak cameras.

     This exercise in futility was not a total waste of time as I did find some
useful utilities along the way while trying to get Win7 to work properly:

     InfraRecorder:  A CD/DVD copying utility that is far more efficient and
user-friendly than Nero.

     CutePDF:  A PDF creation utility that makes PDF files from web pages.  Far
more efficient than
               any of the Adobe PDF writers and especially the Mozilla PDF
utility.

Chris