Re: [OM] OT website issues

Subject: Re: [OM] OT website issues
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2013 02:57:49 +1300
Mike Lazzari wrote

> Please take a look at the local website that I babysit.
>
> <http://sanjuanislandtrails.org/>
>
> Displays correctly in all browsers except IE. What's going on? Fix?
>
> Thanks for looking
> Mike

Displays OK in Firefox and in old Opera 9.50.

In both, the opening.page has the left-hand column extending down MUCH
lower than the other columns.

Not my style - I'd have the bottoms of all columns ending about even if I
could.

Don't know if that is what you intended.

An old version (6) of MSIE doesn't display the LHS column at all, but does
display the header banner image, which the other two did not.

By looking at the source code I see the page uses  lot of CSS.

In the early days of CSS I tried really hard to get it to work for me, and
failed.

I can't be bothered with it now, but it works for some people. I write pure
html, using deprecated methods for layout, such as tables.

MSIE might be disagreeing with the CSS, in my opinion. Wouldn't surprise
me.

What I find here in NZ is that many government websites adhere to MSIE
standards - probably use MS Word for composition then get Word to
convert to html, is my guess. That way office typists can do the web-sites, is
also my guess.  So their sites may have problems with other browsers.

HTH

Brian Swale