Re: [OM] (OM) Rural farm scenes on Kodachrome

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) Rural farm scenes on Kodachrome
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Mar 2013 23:43:11 +1300
To respond to Chris B's question, yes I have had my entire life working and
studying in NZ, apart from two wonderful years studying at Uni in the UK,
and 2 holidays in Queensland and 2 - 3 holidays in The Netherlands. During
the latter also spent time in the UK - relatives in London - and also went
from Yorkshire down to London.

And Easter 1964 in Canberra and Sydney.

I have been around the world by ship 1961 Auckland - Pitcairn - Panama -
Jamaica - Bermuda - Southampton

1963 - Southampton - Canary Islands _ Cape-Town - Durban - Fremantle -
Melbourne ( hitched to Canberra for 4 days then train to Sydney ) -
Auckland.

And yes, I can pronounce Scheveningen correctly -  or could; I am very
much out of practice due to not having much contact with Dutchies who are
prepared to converse in their native tongue. I think there are some other
words involving a guttural sound that seems rude to a native English
speaker, that are difficult - though maybe not difficult to a German.

At the end of my last sojourn in Hilversum, I flew over to Vermont for a few
days with an old friend, then to Vancouver (Washington), thence to San
Diego, and then finishing off with 4 days on my own in Hawaii where I
photographed madly on Kauai ?? and (forget the name ) the island with
Waikiki on it.

And I skied twice in Austria - Saalbach.

10 days in Spain on my own when to took off south at the end of a forestry
study tour that finished on the coast in Les Landes. San Sebastian ( raining )
so I took the overnight train to Barcelona for a few days, when Valencia by
bus, the Alicante, a quaint little rural seaside village surrounded by olive
groves. Then I hi-tailed it back to the UK as my money was running low.
Would have loved to stay longer.

One summer vacation I bought a BSA B51 bike for 25 pounds, joined the
Youth Hostel Association, flew from the S England coast to Dunkirk, the
drove through Belgium, Netherlands, Germany ( bought 2 2nd hand lenses
for my Practika in war-torn Hamburg !!), Denmark, Sweden, Norway,
Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, France - UK. 40 pounds in one
month and 6000 miles fed me and the bike !!   Wonderful trip. Sold the bike
for 15 pounds.

Here endeth the o/s saga.

Brian Swale.