Re: [OM] Music Photos

Subject: Re: [OM] Music Photos
From: Paul Braun <pbraun42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:56:13 -0600
On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Ken Norton <ken@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > More and more music "artists" are refusing to let photographers
> photograph
> > their shows or are demanding all rights to the photos.  Here is one
> > photographer's answer to that problem:
>
> Such rules usually result in less than shining reviews and coverage.

I'll repeat what I said before, only this time in the proper thread.... I
was one of three photographers at a rock event several years ago hosted by
a good friend of mine.  We had full run of the event... except for one of
the guest stars.  His management forced us all to sign releases that stated
that while we could take photos of the artist, we were expressly forbidden
from doing anything with them, including putting them in a gallery of
photos from the event.

I won't mention his name, since he's a friend, and I know it wasn't his
call.  He's just signed to over-controlling, clueless management.  I've had
run-ins with them before.  We tried to arrange a solo acoustic show for my
friend at my theatre and, even though he was completely on board with it,
his management refused to even consider anything but a full electric band
show, something that not only can I not afford, but also doesn't fit with
the theme of my series or with my stage and PA system.

--

Paul Braun
Music Junkie

"Music washes from the soul the dust of everyday life." -- Harlan Howard