Re: [OM] What the heck is that?

Subject: Re: [OM] What the heck is that?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:59:18 -0200
Thanks Chris and Piers, I knew we had talked about this grammar topic
before, not too long ago.
It's rather difficult, 'though not impossible, to search for the exact post
in .gmail.

Thanks Chuck, to bring the problem back: you made me think about it better
and longer, just as Chris and Piers did.

I don't think the auxiliary verb "do" is confusing me, in this case at
least although I agree it's sometimes a real headache.

The problem is translation itself, and it's more a problem the faster I
translate because I'm still thinking in Spanish while writing in English.
Provided I have the time, I can switch to think in English.

In Spanish, both orders, both phrasings are correct, with a little
difference one from the other.
The difference is a 'tilde' (accent, but not the same meaning as tilde).
"As for what did I photograph there" was my English writing from my Spanish
thinking "Sobre qué fue lo que yo fotografié allí" - note Que and Qué (and
similar words: Cuando, Cuándo / Donde, Dónde / Como, Cómo, etc.)
"As for what I photographed there" would correspond to a Spanish thinking
like this one: "Sobre lo que yo fotografié allí" - here, Que must be
written without a tilde.
Both wordings are correct, but the first one emphasizes the object and the
second the subject - the first one creates suspense, because it certainly
shares the wording of a question. If you are asking a question which begins
with Qué, Cuándo, Cómo, Dónde, etc. - then you must put a tilde. And an
inverted question mark at the beginning of the question!.

Hope I made myself clear ...

Fernando.