Re: [OM] What the heck is that?

Subject: Re: [OM] What the heck is that?
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgonzalezgentile@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 23:09:29 -0200
Well yes, that's interesting indeed, and opens a different off-topic
chapter :-)

I'll try to write down how do Spanish speaking people name diacritical
marks - at least those we use in the Rio de la Plata Spanish.

1- Ñ, ñ: this is a letter which belongs to the Spanish alphabet, it is not
an n with a ~ above.
Here, the ~ cannot be considered a tilde.
I think so because it's the only letter (unlike Portuguese) in Spanish
which uses that glyph, although you can read at en.wiki that "a letter
modified by a diacritic may be treated either as a new, distinct letter or
as a letter–diacritic combination. This varies from language to language,
and may vary from case to case within a language."

2- Out of the group of accents, we only use the acute accent, not like in
French.
Since this is the only one, people are taught at primary and secondary
school that a word like 'República' ( = Republic) is written with a 'tilde'
over the letter u.
Acute tilde can only be written above vowels, and when one of the vowels
which normally would form a diphthong is correctly written with an acute
tilde, then there is no longer a diphthong.

3- Finally, Spanish uses the diaeresis on the u only, and only in a word
which has a g followed by an u and then by these vowels: e and i.
This makes a difference when pronouncing a j or a g followed by an u and
then either an e or i, for the u to be pronounced after a g, it must have a
diaeresis over it.

That's all, I guess - if memory doesn't fail, I'd say Spanish is quite
simple regarding diacritical marks.

HTH,

Fernando.