Re: [OM] (OM) OT Kiev-4

Subject: Re: [OM] (OM) OT Kiev-4
From: Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 18:00:41 -0800 (PST)
Brian,

That was my dream camera when I was a little kid, long story...I might share it
here one day.

There are few things to consider:

First, I wouldn't pay more than $40 for one. If you wait long enough, you will
find one for $36 shipped in immaculate condition, in the original box completed
with sales receipt, warranty card and a manual. I have two of them: the one I
just described and another newer model that bought from a list member.

Russian designs are crude and primitive and my rule is to stay away from them,
but from what I understand, this is a copy of an older German camera either
Leica or Contax, I don't remember which. It is very reliable, especially in
sub-zero temperatures. The older one of mine is manufactured in 68 and the
newer in 81. The former has the lightmeter in front and it is still
surprizingly accurate. Despite having some plastic parts, the latter still
feels very substantial. If you want, when I get home this weekend I can snap a
few pictures and post for you.

You will definitely need the manual for one and only one thing: The film
Internets.

Once again, it would be a nice toy, but I wouldn't spend more than $40 for it.

Let me know if I could answer something else.

Best

Boris