Re: [OM] Camera Robberies

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera Robberies
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2013 21:39:29 -0800
On 3/4/2013 4:12 PM, Tina Manley wrote:
> Be careful out there!!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/business/media/photojournalists-in-oakland-face-epidemic-of-camera-robberies.html?_r=1&;
>
> The world has gone crazy.

No more so than usual, I think. Fortunately for most of us, most criminals
aren't either bright or innovative. News
crews have been handling expensive equipment rather casually for years. Just
asking for it, in a way.

Apparently, some more observant and thoughtful person of criminal mindset
finally noticed in Oakland, next city south
from where I live, and acted on the insight. Like all new criminal activities,
it will spread, and the news folks will
experiment with various ways to minimize the losses, find the cost-benefit
sweet spot and standardize on it.

Life goes on. If you don't think that criminals adapted to take advantage of
changes in ways of doing things and of
technology in the past, you are mistaken.

Being so close to home for them, it will all get get disproportionate coverage
and outrage in the news media.

Your standard, garden variety muggers and smash and grabbers will be operating
as usual after things settle down in any
given area. Probably down a little until the excitement of mugging news crews
dies out, probably when some fool gets
shot and killed. No noticeable changes for us garden variety photographers.

Try not to buy into feeding the fear culture.

Sanguine Moose