[OM] Olympus Viewer, ACR, highlights, distortion and vignetting [was Arr

Subject: [OM] Olympus Viewer, ACR, highlights, distortion and vignetting [was Arrrrgggghhhh. Need sleep.... need sleep.....]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 21:55:55 -0800
On 3/5/2013 5:12 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Ramblin' Moose wrties:
>> Keep pace? As far as I can tell, Viewer has zero highlight recovery.
> That seemed very weird to me.  I saw that mentioned 3 or more years ago
> and it seems strange no intervention was made.  I recall Oly had the
> Raw tone curve adjusted to preserve more detail in the shadows compared
> to Can/Nik and  as the JPEG engine is so good, perhaps there wasn't
> much info left in the highlight area to recover.
> A bit of digging comfirms   Studio is incapable of blown highlight
> retrieval to any extent and there is indeed at least some recoverable
> data in the ORF.

Told ya. ;-)   My data is based on direct, personal experimentation. There is
often a great deal of highlight data that
ACR can successfully recover, that just isn't there in Viewer2. I don't know if
you remember was back to the 5D review
in dpreview. They compared highlight recovery in DPP to ACR.
<http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos5d/23>

ACR did a much better job, in part because it was willing to make what appeared
to be 'educated' guesses based on
nearby, unblown pixels, whereas DPP stuck with what it could know for sure. It
appears that Viewer2 takes the same,
conservative position, perhaps to an extreme?

> Too bad as AFAIK  it is still the only converter that reads the geometric
> distortion correction metadata from Oly

You are misinformed. There was some discussion (here? elsewhere?) with links to
Adobe answers. The upshot is that ACR
(under LR, too) applies the corrections stored in the ORF files. You may still
make your own, supplementary profiles
with the Adobe profile maker, and, for example add in CA correction that's not
in the ORFs.

If you want to see the difference, open an ORF in RawTherapee, or any other
converter that ignores, or may be set to
ignore, the lens data. Here's a very clear example of how ACR (as well as
Viewer2) uses the lens data to correct linear
distortion and vignetting.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Misc/_1153848_lindistort.htm>

> though ... Can't be tooo long before ACR would have profiles for OM-D I would
>  think , but who
> knows.

Asked and answered. ;-)

Undistorted Image and Info Moose