Re: [OM] Olympus Viewer, ACR, highlights, distortion and vignetting [was

Subject: Re: [OM] Olympus Viewer, ACR, highlights, distortion and vignetting [was Arrrrgggghhhh. Need sleep.... need sleep.....],
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 16:14:55 -0800
On 3/6/2013 2:55 PM, Ken Norton wrote:

> The cause of the problem is not apparent without doing testing with a
> calibrated target. Highlight recovery does not work the same on an E-1
> file as it does with most "normal" digital cameras. It has to do with
> the way the four color sensels are combined. ...
> The name escapes me as I'm not anywhere near my editing computers,
> (rawdigger?) but I have a program that gives me the ability to pull
> histograms on all four color channels of the E-1 sensor. II'll have to
> show pictures for you all of images that are at or near ETTR and what
> happens when the RAW file is processed. It's bad soup that will give
> you cramps for sure.

Is Oly still doing the 'two greens' thing on later 4/3 and on µ4/3 sensors?

> Historically, I've gotten my best images when I have a full stop of
> headroom. I have multiple RAW converters with highlight recovery and
> with many images that works very well. But on other images, there is
> no saving it as the colors wonk out. Portraits, especially, seem to
> benefit most when I pull the exposure up rather than down.

With ACR, it seems to depend on the amount of surrounding color detail. With
big, amorphous areas, things go gray pretty
quickly. Smaller areas of clipping surrounded with unclipped detail generally
recover much better. It seems pretty smart.

Four Color Moose