Re: [OM] More on shutter vibration blur & Revision to Moose's The Olympu

Subject: Re: [OM] More on shutter vibration blur & Revision to Moose's The Olympus Pen Story, A Personal Version
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2013 21:37:47 -0800
On 3/7/2013 4:44 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Yikes--2 sec only for vib reduction for those models.

That's for E-P1/2 and E-PL1/2, Starting with E-P3, all have the full, 1/8 - 30
Sec. range. E-P3 looks pretty good, short
of the E-M5. It has all the bells and whistles, including touch screen, except
tilting screen. Although chunkier looking
than the E-PM1, it's the same depth, and shallower than the tilt screen E-PL3.

 From my viewpoint of a secondary camera, the E-P3 is quite pricey. For a
purse/horse camera, without E-M5 available,
the equation may be different.

> I have been
> paying attention as we do need a new horse/purse cam.  Firm grip with 2
> hands on the cam not always possible on a horse.
> Harumph.  We'll have to make due on our upcoming trip but that is about
> it.

I'd be happy to send a G11 on loan/approval/whatever for this trip. I think
what it gains on the wide end relative to G9
makes up for what it loses on the long end, and the IQ is a pretty big step up.

> ...  Any clue?

The whole elect. first curtain is something I know almost nothing about. With,
gasp! six µ4/3 lenses already, and the still fabulous E-M5, I"m not up on
details of other ILC lines.

> Still an Oly electronic first curtain MFT
> option would be very welcome given this shutter shock blur from the
> complex shutter dance required. The very first 1st curtain activation
> seems to be the culprit it seems.

I'm under the impression that one can't necessarily simply add some firmware
and make an EFC. I think it is dependent on
sensor design. If the new sensor isn't compatible, and given the rate at which
Oly changes sensors, I think you may be
in for a long wait.

I'm just happy that the new sensor system is so outstanding. If a design
compromise to get there means no EFC, that's
fine with me. For the kind of shooting I do, the 1/8 sec. delay is just no big
deal. Seems to me that would be true for
you guys, too.

> New horse cam soon for the CVO or it is curtains, Mike

I'm not quite sure what you really want in this proposed camera for your
horse's purse. :-) Marnie's horse and your
purse? Marnie's purse and your ...

Looks to me like the compacts that might fit the bill are Oly XZ-2, Sony
RX-100, Panny LX-7, Fuji X20 and, believe it or
not, Canon S100/110.

There are so many permutations of size/weight, zoom range and speed, etc. That
I think the only way to whittle it down
is to put them all in dpreview's side-by-side comparison table and take notes.

Looking at all but the Sony and Fuji in the dpreview IQ comparison table of
their studio shot, the Canon and Oly are so
close in Raw IQ that I think it's a practical toss-up. Fuji images aren't
available for comparison yet.

The Sony is a mystery to me. It's amazing how big a senor they got in that tiny
body, and many people are raving about
the IQ, but it doesn't look outstanding in the side-by-comparison. A problem is
that they somehow got the focal
distance/focal length wrong, so that the test images are much bigger, and hard
to compare.

One could download the files, downsample the Sony to match the others, and look
again. I've done that sort of thing
before, when coming down to final choices.

That's one way to go - the other is µ4/3. The Panny's are out for me. They were
already not appealing, and the news that
their shutter blur is worse than the Olys, even before the Oly anti-shock fix,
and with no fix as yet, has ruled them
out for now.

I know you have reservations about the Panny 14-42 X, and the reviews are
confusing, with SLRGear saying it's better
than all the rest of the 14-4x lenses and Castleman not much impressed on a
GX1, and finding it poorer than the old
14-45. BUT, for a compact alternative to the above fixed lens compacts, I think
it's the only real game in town. Even
the collapsing (and that's a little bit of a pain) Oly 14-42 is huge in
comparison.

An E-PM1 with 14-42 X is a truly compact combo. It looks like they would fit in
the belt case I've used for the G11.
There are compromises in zoom speed and range, and it might drive someone who
needs lots of external controls a bit
batty, but it whups the compacts in IQ, and has the ISO capability, compared to
them, to make up for a slower lens.

Compared to the Sony and Oly compacts, I think the 24 mm wide end is a plus,
while cropping a 4/3 sensor to their
100-112 mm eq. long ends will still probably be better in IQ.

IF, and I suppose that's still a big if, one then goes E-M5, lens sharing,
back-up, etc. are pluses.

Multi Permutative Moose