[OM] A (brief) return to the Canon 5D

Subject: [OM] A (brief) return to the Canon 5D
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 08:30:14 -0500
After shooting the strawberry hulling exercise on Wednesday afternoon
with the E-M5 I had to shoot the following day's activities leading up
to the strawberry shortcake finale at 1:00pm.

The day is called "Fun Day" and starts at 8:00am with anyone owning a
motorcycle driving up and down all the streets of the park beeping their
horns and revving their engines telling everyone to wake up.  That's
followed at 9:00am by a parade of home built floats built on golf carts
and many zany people wearing silly costumes.  That's followed by silly
games that continue throughout a free lunch and end with the serving of
the strawberry shortcake with ice cream at 1:00pm.

I knew I'd end up with several hundred shots with many of them being
relative close-ups of the residents.  They'll eventually be seen and
scrutinized by most of the residents so I wanted to shoot with something
more familiar than the E-M5 to minimize the chance of mistakes (getting
better but still common for me using the E-m5).  So, out came the Canon
5D which has been relegated to the closet ever since Christmas.

I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed using that real viewfinder again
and felt much more comfortable using the 5D's more familiar and larger
and more widely spaced controls.  I also appreciated the Tamron 24-135's
extra reach over the Oly 12-50.  I could have used the Oly 14-150 but I
knew I'd need the 24mm equivalent but not the long 300mm equivalent. On
the other hand, I had also installed a T-32 for fill flash and the
combination of 5D body, Tamron 24-135 and T-32 lets you know how heavy
it all is before very long.  Fortunately, the timing of the events and
proximity to my own place meant that I didn't have to carry it for very
long at any one time.

Net: I'm glad I still have the 5D for some uses but if I have to venture
far from the house or car for hours worth of carrying a camera it will
be the E-M5 that comes along and not the Canon.

Chuck Norcutt