Re: [OM] More on shutter vibration blur & Revision to Moose's The Olympu

Subject: Re: [OM] More on shutter vibration blur & Revision to Moose's The Olympus Pen Story, A Personal Version
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 17:08:37 -0800
On 3/8/2013 3:15 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Curiously the newer 14-42 II R.Oly. doesn't seem to be much different
>   from the II except the cosmetics--not quite sure.

It is strictly a cosmetic change, "R" for redo, or some such. To quote Moose,
back on 2/2:
"Oly's cosmetic redesign of the M.Z zoom lenses, from film Pen style to the
12-50 style, proceeds apace.

The 14-42 II R, 40-150 R, and now the 75-300 II.
<http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/telephoto.html#i_075-300mm_f048-067_olympus>

What will be next, the 9-18 or the 14-150? Oh, the suspense!

It seems that the 'R' designation means a cosmetic change, while 'II' means a
lens change. So, the 14-42 was optically
and mechanically redesigned to a 'II', then cosmetically redesigned to become a
'II R'.

It seems the only non-cosmetic changes to the 75-300 are new coatings, and a
new, lower price. So very kind of Oly to
send me an email touting the new 75-300, now "$350 less than" the one I bought.
Fortunately, it's the same price I
actually paid. "

> They made the II version tighter and quieter for video and it markedly
> reduced the shutter shake
> issue as well.

Can that have really been the lens? I'm not sure I can see how, short of the
firmware signaling the body to a short delay.

> The II has one less element and doesn't focus quite as close either,
> but it is still better overall all things considered.
>
> Thanks for thinking about this,

Like I could help myself. ;-)

> Clearly fell down a rabbit hole, paying close attention,

Welcome to my world. One pill makes your head spin, the other makes you dumb ...

Alice Moose