Re: [OM] IMG: A couple of people who caught my eye

Subject: Re: [OM] IMG: A couple of people who caught my eye
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2013 20:22:06 -0800
On 3/8/2013 5:59 PM, Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Chris said "lorry donkey" not "donkey engine".

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was proposing that 'donkey engine', for small engines
used in switching yards, was likely
shortened to 'donkey' in casual usage, then applied to the similar-ish, lorry
thingie used to tow larger things.

They are fairly analogous things.

Technology makes new things that need names. People often use all or part of
names for known things, as in 'horseless
carriage'.

Pedantic Moose