[OM] OM-D E-M5 firmware update

Subject: [OM] OM-D E-M5 firmware update
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 10:27:19 -0500
I recently got a notice that version 1.6 of the E-M5 firmware was
available and finally decided this morning to install it.  It turned
into nervous time.  I had previously downloaded and installed the
software that does the updating so there was nothing to do there except
double click the icon on my desktop.  From there it turned into "nervous
time".

I had expected the entire process to take, perhaps, a few minutes.  Once
it started up it quickly recognized the camera, called home and then
advised me there was an update for the body but that the lens was
current.  Click next to continue.  I did and it started with an image of
a rotating wheel or arrow (I don't recall which) apparently trying to
tell me it was doing *something*.  After about 10-15 minutes the wheel
was still doing its rotation thing with no other status information
displayed.  I had no idea what it was doing or how long it might take or
even if it knew what it was doing.  What I did know is that I wasn't
about to interrupt it.  I headed off to the bathroom to shower and shave
and finally got back to the computer after a total of 25-30 minutes had
elapsed since I started it.  I was greatly relieved to see a big "OK" on
the LCD and the installation software telling me to click "next" and
detach the USB cable.

How long it actually took and whether it was really working all that
time or merely waiting on Olympus America I haven't a clue.  But this is
just fair warning... a successful update might take quite some time.

Chuck Norcutt