Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2013 21:42:39 -0800
On 3/9/2013 2:31 PM, DZDub wrote:
> I will tell you what I use and why I like it.  I'm sure the Manfrotto is
> great.  Some years ago I got a Velbon El Carmagne 640.  It looks very
> similar to this:
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/708923-REG/Velbon_GEO_E640_GEO_E640_4_Section_Carbon.html
>
> It was about $100 less and had a tilt-pan head.  I like tilt-pan heads.
>   Most people seem to hate them, but I hate ball heads.  The head it came
> with had no provision for QR plates, so I added a Cullman QR adapter
> similar to this:
>
> http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/511754-REG/Cullmann_CU_40440_Medium_Quick_Release_Assembly.html

I have one of those. Not as solid as A-S, but good. I also like that they have
reasonably priced anti-rotation plates
that adjust for pretty much any camera.

> I think one could be fooled into thinking your tripod is OK with a digital
> camera because you can usually get a fast enough shutter speed to avoid
> trouble.  I don't think you can fake it with a monster camera like the
> RB67.  I keep thinking I should get something stouter, but I haven't and
> probably won't.
>
> If I had to get another head, I'd look at the Cullman tilt-pans with QR.

I had one of those, too, on Cullman legs, that I inherited from my father. The
built-in QR is nice, and that and Walt
are how I ended up with more of their QR stuff.

Knowing my dad, he was gentle with it, and there were no signs of abuse, but it
always had a sticky altitude adjustment
that was really annoying, and the azimuth lock was not secure. You probably
wouldn't run into the same problem*, but I'd
feel remiss if I didn't warn you to check.

I took it apart more than once, trying clean and dry and a couple of kinds of
lube, but never solved the problem. Now
I've solved it by gifting it, with legs and the Steiner spotting scope it was
bought for, to one of my sons and his
wife. They love it in their digs with panoramic view of SF.

Three Legged Moose

* That's 'issue' in OZ.