Re: [OM] Anyone use one of these??

Subject: Re: [OM] Anyone use one of these??
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:25:41 -0700
On 3/11/2013 1:52 PM, Paul Braun wrote:
> In my current quest for a tripod head, I came across the Manfrotto 322RC2,
> which is the pistol-grip ballhead with the adjustable tension on the clutch.

When I last bought a head, Manfrotto's squeeze handle ball head had a vertical
handle, with the camera on top and ball
on bottom. As it was a long handle, the camera waved all over the place as it
was adjusted. Really awkward, and likely
unstable with decent size camera and long lens.

The 322RC2 is a huge improvement over their first effort. I have tried one out
in a shop, and it seems to work fine,
although I would again suggest trying it yourself, to be sure it's comfortable
to handle.

I opted not to get one. I seem to recall that I wasn't convinced I would like
using it. I know for sure that size/weight
played a part.

The 322RC2 is rather large, and weighs 635 g, 1.4#.
My physically much more compact Velbon weighs 171 g, 6 oz.

The other thing, that Joel mentioned, but not everyone may have noticed, is
that I find use a tripod less now than
before. The E-M5's good high ISO IQ and its lighter weight with M.Z lenses make
a tripod necessary less often.

For my use, where I often spend hours carrying my kit, walking miles on trails,
adding size, weight, awkward shape, etc.
just makes it less likely that I will be carrying it when I DO need it. YMaHMV*
:-)

Travelin' Light Moose

* Your Mileage and Hourage May Vary.