Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation

Subject: Re: [OM] OK, now that I sorted that out.... Ballhead recommendation
From: Bob Whitmire <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 12:42:57 -0400
The Ultrachrome K3 ink set is, I think, the bee's knees.

Matte papers are a special breed, and require a special image for the whole
effect. I usually print on Epson's Ultra Premium Matte paper for my lower-end
stuff that sells at a lower price point. They say it's Ultra Premium but it's
actually their least expensive brand of exhibition matte paper. For the good
stuff I use Ultra Smooth Fine Art, Velvet Fine Art, and Cold Press Natural. If
I want a more wet-darkroom black & white look I use Exhibition Fiber, or I did
until I discovered Canson's Photographique Bayrta, which causes me to wet my
pants every time I see a print come out of the chute. It's beyond spectacular.
Someone more accomplished than me could make black & white prints on that paper
that even AG couldn't tell didn't come from a wet darkroom. <g>

Epson's Luster is an excellent paper, and I use it quite a bit. For larger
prints with a luster surface I use the Moab I mentioned before. Lately, I've
started using some of Red River's lusters, which fall somewhere between Epson
and Moab in overall quality.

--Bob