[OM] Panny 14-42 X [was Purse and/or Camera [was More ...

Subject: [OM] Panny 14-42 X [was Purse and/or Camera [was More ...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 23:15:24 -0700
On 3/17/2013 7:23 PM, usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Paying close attention here. Hmmm, that is interesting. Even the central
> portion of the image at the long end of the
> Panny 14-42 X is reported to be slightly less sharp than the wide end, but
> may still be better than the compact cam
> competitors. As you say it is the only game in town for MFT.

I think you may be picking at nits. SLRgear rates it as a better performer than
the other three 14-4x zooms available
for µ4/3 and concludes:

"If you can look past the 1/160 & 1/200 shutter speed issue, the lens offers
excellent performance, and provides a very
small package in the process."

And one can indeed look past the shutter shake problem on the Oly bodies, as
there is a solution. (Read on.)

This is just the opposite of the careful tests to which you've posted links. On
two consecutive days, as I walked out of
the house, camera in hand, I turned and took shots of the same camellia
blossom. I had no agenda to do any comparative
testing. The first shot was the first photogenic thing I saw and was my first
shot with E-PM1 and Panny 14-42 X.

Slightly different times of day, different light, different angle, both rather
casually hand held. But, by some chance,
the first is at 42 mm, and the dreaded 1/200 sec., the second at 14 mm, 1/80
sec., both with 1/8 sec. anti-shock shutter
delay and at ISO 200 and f8.
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/Lenses/Panasonic_14-42X/_3150001-4.htm>

I'm pretty sure both were focused on the same spot, but it was just hand held
AF. All the caveats aside, the 42 mm image
is simply sharper, showing more detail.

Doesn't prove much, except perhaps that in the kind of use I anticipate, and I
imagine you and Marnie would anticipate
for this combo, there isn't a practical difference between long and short end
and it's a very good lens.